Major John W. Barron is chief of the Electronic Warfare System Requirements Branch, Joint Electronic Warfare Center, United States Strategic Command, Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland, Texas. He is responsible for managing all warfighter requirements for USSTRATCOM’s Electromagnetic Battle Management program to automate Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations capabilities. Additionally, he leads a Joint Capability Technology Demonstrator and multiple prototyping efforts to accelerate the acquisitions process.
Major Barron graduated from Louisiana Tech University and received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 2007. He has served as a development engineer in a System Program Office, a deployed program manager, and an operational requirements officer. Prior to his current position, he was assigned as the Innovation Lab Chief at the Air Force Technical Applications Center.
- 2007 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
- 2008 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 2012 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2013 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- December 2007 – August2010, AvionicsEngineer, B-2 Bomber System Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- August 2010 – March2012, Master’s Student,Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- March 2012 – December 2014, Chief, Geophysical Field Systems Branch, AirForce Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla. (November 2012-May 2013, MILCON Construction Manager, AFCENT/A7, Southwest Asia)
- December 2014 – April 2016, Chief, InnovationLab, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- April 2016 – Present, Chief, Electronic Warfare System Requirements Branch, Joint Electronic Warfare Center, USSTRATCOM, Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS:
- April 2016 – Present, Chief, Electronic Warfare System Requirements Branch, Joint Electronic Warfare Center, USSTRATCOM, Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland, Texas, as a major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Second Lieutenant December 7, 2007
- First Lieutenant December 7, 2009
- Captain December 7, 2011
- Major September 1, 2017
(Current as of 28 April 2019)